Pages

10 January 2012

Wunderkind

The past few days have been more or less driving. Driving to and from Poznan, driving to Kornik and Srem--and if you want to be philosophical, completing the drive of my life at the moment into a more complete circle. I think I have been able to ease into things relatively easily, and I have had some help from new friends along the way. This past weekend I found myself, alone, in the car on my way to town. I had my handy dandy GPS, (which I have been trying NOT to use) ready to meet some new friends and have a very good Saturday. All went well, albeit a slight scare in the parking garage. Don't worry, nothing was scratched, hurt, banged, or even disjointed--I got out fine! It was nice to walk around the mall where I imagine I will spend many weekends for a getaway or plans with friends. I even ventured out to the other side of town to another mall. (Apparently that is the thing to do here, haha) But more than that I felt that I was taking a step forward and putting an initiative in finding my own way--to want to explore and not get scared about forgetting something or getting lost. I needed to venture out and do it on my own. To learn and to like experiencing it at the same time.

I never realized I would be driving so much, which leaves me at the end of the day very stiff and with a sore neck. Who knew I would be operating my small and (almost) reliable limo service. I am kidding of course. :) The kids here are very active in swimming, which consequently involves driving them to 3 different pools throughout the week. Luckily this week has been exam time, so they mostly have been going to only a few. I think I am just about there with remembering where things are, and what roads to turn on. It is so easy to get turned around, especially on these very dark, windy country roads. Tonight I managed to somehow turn off the main road onto a small gravel one that led to a dead-end with a very ferocious small dog yapping at me. Needless to say I had to bring in my backup--the GPS. Pretty sad when you are 10 min from home, but it was understandable in the circumstances.

Also, of all the things I miss it's the simple and delightful privilege of eating vegetables. That's not to say that we never eat them; no, we actually do just not as often as I would like. I have come to understand the eating habits of the family and I really do find it quite amusing and interesting.
  • Breakfast: Always consists of bread, cheese, meats, and various jars of honey, jams, and any other 'condiments'.
  • Lunch: Usually this is the only meal that is different from the rest and something new is prepared. Today for instance we used up some of the leftover beef steaks, had some rice and mixed vegetables with it. 
  • Dinner: Same as breakfast, only no sweet things like jam. I usually have an apple & peanut butter--my fav!
Other than that, we eat alot of bread, cheese, and meats. I liked this at first. I even thought it something to try at home, since it is simple, but it has left me wanting a stalk of broccoli, or some squash, zucchini--anything veggie related. I really strive on vegetables along with my meat and cheese, and when I don't get enough I crave them--as many do with chocolate or ice cream. Mmmmm..... ice cream.... :)
It has been really super though that they have yoghurt--because I love that so much too. I do miss cold cereal but it is expensive here, so we don't get it. Also their milk tastes different...

On another note I finally made it to the post office, so those of you who were mailed a post card I hope they come within a week! Goodnight for now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment