Pages

05 January 2012

Tak (Or 'yes' in English)

Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what he has made crooked? When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore a man cannot discover anything about his future. Ecc. 7:13-14
After a very long day driving to and from town, getting stuck in traffic, making a wrong turn, and arriving too late to take the kids to their taekwondo and swimming, this verse reminds me that things may go wrong--but that's okay. Especially after reading this verse I am reminded of a thought that came to me in the car whilst amid all the 'red' around me on the roads. That as funny as things have gone for the first week here, and that even when things go wrong I know I am in the right place. I remember thinking that I was so happy to be here, even though the challenges of the commute and learning the roads is such a challenge. I am so happy because this is where God has placed me, it's where I wanted to go and I am able to say with joy that I am doing this for God's glory. Even though things may not go according to plan, or that I may have some hurdles along the way, I have come to appreciate so much those little hiccups.

I am so glad I came here, and I am reminded of that everyday. That's not to say I worry--that is only the human side of me--but I truly do love it here and am so blessed to be with this family. They are wonderful.

Little things catch my attention. Things that I know will be so ordinary to me in a year or two because I will be used to them. Now they are new and I seem to connect with what are new observations.
  • I know that many times in the house a conversation consists of Polish and English conversation--sometimes both interchangeably
  • That daily prayer is essential to this family
  • Marcel loves Legos--I think the first conversation I had with him was about his collection
  • They love garlic
  • I love the way A laughs, and equally so when her husband is the one making her laugh
  • There is a rooster next door who likes to announce the morning
  • Polish drivers are crazy!
  • And they signal a thank you with their flashers (hey at least they do that)
  • The symbol of a goat is very important here
All of these things I take in and there are a dozen other things that I know I will observe too. This whole adventure has tamed me to see, to look and stop to think about it--to understand what others fail to think about or see.

No comments:

Post a Comment