Pages

31 January 2012

Butter, flour, sugar, eggs.. polski version 2.0

A promised here are some photos of some of the ingredients I have been using--Poliski (Polish) version!

Peanut Butter! Ironically I like the European version better than at home. It's less sweet!

Part of our pantry. You can see in the right corner 'Barszcz' which is beet soup

Literal translation is 'Fluffy flour', but this is cake flour. I see no real difference though in the regular flour

Honey! They keep alot of bees in Poland

Poppy seeds--also very Polish. They have alot of Polish cakes that use these, especially around Christmas

Buckwheat--we use this alot of the time as our starch in the meal, like you would with rice

Potato flour

Oat bran

Cocoa!

More honey--the one on the right smells vile

Baking soda

Baking powder

Butter--we go through alot of this

Fresh yeast for cakes/breads. I have been getting used to using this

The Polish love their meats. These are 2 very typical options. The one on the left is more or less like a salami, and the one on the right is liver pate. Apparently I am the only American au pair they have had that even attempted to eat the liver one--and I liked it. :) Aga says my Mom raised me very 'German'... I guess this is an Eastern European thing to eat, haha.

And one last one for your no doubt drooling tastebuds, especially after that last photo--(just kidding). This is the banana/lemon/poppyseed cake I made for the kids. It was a great success and is sooo tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment