Pages

25 January 2012

The Girl with the Polish Family

One of my morning drives to Śrem
I got up early Saturday morning to go grocery shopping with A. Deciding to give up a day of sleeping in, I wanted to spend some time in the grocery and to be included in all of Saturday's plans, even if that meant cleaning the pantry and organizing the kitchen, which we did with great success. Oh! And bake a cake. I think I should have been a baker. A real one.

I really like this family. Not only because A&J are such kindhearted people, but they truly do think and act in the best interest of their family, and of me as well. Even though I have only been here a month (yes hard to believe), they have always treated me as more than just an employee or caretaker--I have always been family. This drive with A was nice because it gave us a chance to really talk about how things are going and how we feel about everything. It felt nice to actually ask her, personally, how she thinks I am doing. We both agreed that things are going really well and she amazed me by saying that she was really thankful that I was the type of person that asks questions if I am unsure or want to know about something. She told me it helps her to learn what I need in this process. Consequently, this car ride was more than just a weekly grocery run--it was a nice heartfelt chat between friends.

We stopped by 'Arturo', the local grocery in a town close by and bought many things (including bananas that I had been craving!) and I learned a thing or two about soups, meats, and yoghurt. The essentials I tell ya ;)
And this morning I had corn flakes with the kids! Okay, I have been craving cold cereal too, but I do love my morning ritual of toast, yoghurt, some tea and fruit. :)

As we speak, I am baking a banana, lemon, poppyseed cake. The kitchen smells soo good because I have had the door closed. It's pretty quiet too since the kids are in lessons and Ewa (pronounced 'Eva'), the house cleaner, is ironing upstairs. All that you can hear is the dog snoring away. She will no doubt get up instantly when she hears me go check on the bread.

Get ready, dear readers. Another post with pictures of various food stuffs is coming soon. Until then 'Do widzenia!' (Goodbye in Polish) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment