Pages

18 May 2012

The best of the best, of the best, of the best best

It has dawned on me recently that I have rarely talked about my 'weekly routine' and schedule. While some may consider me a mere babysitter (which may be true in some cases), I would argue that my role here is purely one of many talents. I become the chauffeur, the cook/baker woman, the English teacher, disciplinarian, official enforcer of table manners, and sometimes when called upon the goofy companion. The title of this post tells you how many silly slogans and comic book phrases get thrown at me everyday--most in Polish. That is one Marceli likes to repeat over and over. I truly do understand what being a parent is all about--perhaps this 'training' has given me a wake-up call to the child I was to my parents when I was little. It ain't easy. All come with their trials, rewards, and lessons--maybe even perhaps in doing so I will be "the best Mom ever"... after my mother of course. Love you Mom! :)

When I first came I had nearly a week and a half to learn everything. That included the roads, who liked what foods, what time meals were, and how to decipher Polish food labels. It was something new, something challenging, and something I truly enjoyed. Now five months into the year and I still find myself learning even when the schedule seems to be at it's normal pace and repertoire. I think even the kids are starting to warm up to me a little after realizing I am not all that mean terrible. It's for their own good; I swear.

Here's how a normal day looks like for us:

Kids have swimming at 7am - Either I pick them up or their tutor, depending on the location, at 8:30am. 
Second Breakfast at 10am
Lessons from 10am-3pm with a break at 1pm for lunch. 
Supper at 7:30pm

Throughout the week there are alternating days for other activities including swimming at two other swimming pools (they do swim an awful lot), horseback riding, piano lessons, taekwondo, and English lessons (when we can). 

Yes. They are extremely busy kids. 

My little cuties - the eldest is only pretending he's tough.
 I have begun to relish my morning quiet time ritual. It is sometimes postponed to the afternoon though depending on what I am doing. Still, my Bible reading has become the essential daily activity for me. I am working on reading it from cover to cover--so far it's been a well rewarded journey.

Weekends are a bit more relaxed, as I get to do things on my own time. And on Sunday.... Breakfast with the family at 8am, and leave for church at 9:15am. They drop me off at one of the roundabouts in town, and I take the tram to my church, while they drive to their mass. Afterward, I usually meet them at the local shopping mall or they come pick me up. We have a nice lunch (or dinner as they refer to it) at home around 2 or 3pm, and then they have a 'sweet snack' around 5pm. Supper is at 7:30pm. 

Time with friends is sprinkled in there. And yes, they do eat alot of small meals during the day. It's unreal. They keep telling me I need to eat more, and if you know me at all than you know I barely eat anything--except maybe peanut butter.

The past few days I have been in charge of waking up at 5am, waking the kids up, feeding them, and driving them at 6am to the swimming pool since Aga is out of town. By golly we did it--aced, done and dusted. 
I definitely do feel like the best of the best, of the.... well you get the point. 
Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment