Pages

13 March 2011

Thrifting + New clothes = Happiness

As a child thrifting was something we did quite frequently. My mother was all about saving money by buying us gently used clothes. Somehow as I got older that changed... and working at a department store doesn't help. Today, however, I dove right in and was determined to rediscover what I have been missing all these years. Little did I know that I have in fact missed it a bunch.

I purposely went thrifting with some new jeans in mind. Cleaning out my wardrobe, I've noticed that since losing weight over the past few years I could use a few new ones that actually fit. Why have I been wearing oversized and baggy jeans? You tell me. It's time to change that. I know how expensive they can be and the last thing I want is to spend more than I have to on a new pair. That's when I rekindled my thoughts on thrifting days of my childhood, and hey I get to spend so much less.

I have driven past a Goodwill store a few times and never actually been in the place, so I went to check it out this afternoon. They aren't the cheapest I have seen but I did find some good deals. After trying on what must have been about 10 pairs, I finally was able to find two pairs to take home. And they were in pretty good shape - gently worn of course but in really nice condition - and one was an Express pair. There you go! Think of how much money I saved there. Along with the jeans, which were a little over $5 a pair, I found a cute shirt-dress (from Rue21), a sundress, and a practically new pair of sandals, and the whole thing only cost me about $28. Score! Today was a pretty great day in the world of shopping. I plan on trying to save more by buying more from thrift stores. Of course there are only things I would only buy new, and that is where the department stores are reserved specifically. For the time being it's nice to relive days past of finding bargains that save a young twenty something some cash. Try it sometime. You'll surprise yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment