Pages

08 March 2012

Dzien Kobiet or Women's Day

Who knew March 8th was such a funny holiday here. Apparently today is Women's Day, although I am not sure it is just for Poland, because I see other people posting it as an 'international' holiday--still I thought I would share this holiday with you simply because the traditional gifts cracked me up. Tradition was (during the war) that men gave their special lady a pair of tights... in addition to flowers. Now I am not so sure the tights are still given but I did see alot of people buying flowers today. Who knew? Reading up on the holiday I found that the holiday is similar to Valentines and Mother's Day. It was first created in 1948 in an intention to replace a Roman Catholic feast day of the 12th century monk, Blessed Wincenty Kadlubek, but also to celebrate women as hard-working contributors of the economy. Noble intention, yes? While this feast was enforced by the government, it quickly became accepted and part of Polish culture even to this day. So, Happy Women's Day peeps. :)

So far I have learned how to make three authentic Polish dishes:
  1. Boiled red cabbage (Beard Burner) 
  2. Leniwe pierogi or 'lazy pierogies'
  3. Boiled beetroot
Yay! More recipes to add to my collection--which is getting pretty extensive. So far this week I have managed to make a pretty awesome Cinnamon & Raisin loaf and some very strange red velvet cupcakes. I say strange because this recipe called for beetroot and a certain type of cocoa. Not to mention I did some substitution for the butter and cheese and used oil and sour cream instead. Don't get me wrong they were good.. but strange, so strange. And they were not red. Nowhere close--more like a strawberry brown. I like to call them 'Mystery Cupcakes', or 'What's that flavor'. You see the kids and I debated about the taste and this is what we came up with.

- Kasper claimed they tasted like tomato.
- I thought they tasted like lemon and chocolate.
- Cecylia said they were more like potato.
- Marceli stated they were just 'strange'.

Smart kid--I think he was on to something. What is so strange is that they tasted better and more 'normal' the second day. I am not sure how I feel about the 'experiment'.

On to other news--it is snowing again! Just a light drizzle and more wet than anything else. It was a nice surprise driving home tonight on these windy roads and in the pitch black. Is it any consolation that I now know these roads like the back of my hand and don't need my high beams anymore??

Oh and D saw the Queen, Prince Phillip, and Kate today on the train. I seriously thought he was joking, but apparently not. I told the kids today and all three of them said 'alive??' Yes, alive.

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment